A man decided to spend the night with a prostitute. When it was over she told him to pay $500. He said he’d send it to her in an envelope marked ”Rent for Apartment.” The next day, however, he regretted that he spent the night with her and sent only $250. When she wrote him a letter asking why he didn’t pay full price, he wrote her a memo saying:
1. I thought the apartment had not been used before.
2. It did not have adequate heating.
3. It was too large to properly furnish.
A few days later the prostitute sent him another letter saying:
1. You should have known the apartment had been rented previously.
2. The apartment did have adequate heating. You just didn’t know how to turn it on.
3. The apartment was the perfect size. You just didn’t have large enough furniture to fill it.